Neighborhood Public Schools
Whetstone High School
- Web: http://whetstonehs.ccsoh.us/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: 4405 Scenic Drive, Columbus, OH 43214
- Phone: (614) 365-6060
Welcome to Your Whetstone High School
Whetstone High School is nestled along the Olentangy River in the Clintonville neighborhood and serves grades 9-12, providing a traditional high school experience with a great community feeling.
Our Academic Excellence
Whetstone is a comprehensive high school with a college prep emphasis. The curriculum is diverse and meets the needs of students ranging from Columbus City Schools Diploma of Distinction to specialized certifications.
Whetstone students are challenged through the robust course offerings such as:
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered include English Literature and Composition, Language and Composition, Government and Politics, Physics, Biology & Anatomy, Chemistry, Calculus AB, and Environmental Science.
- Through a partnership with Columbus State and the American Electric Power Foundation, Whetstone is one of five Columbus City High Schools to implement the AEP Credits Count program. Students can earn up to 12 college credits through the program. AEP Credits Count students enroll in dual credit courses where they earn college credit. Students also receive services including college placement assessment, test preparation, and college advising. For more information on the Information Technology (IT) Pathway offered at Whetstone, visit the high school’s AEP Credits Count site.
- Whetstone has the highest number of students who participate in The Ohio State University’s Seniors-to-Sophomores program, where seniors are enrolled and spend their senior year taking classes at the university.
- Whetstone offers both Spanish and French 1 to 5, and American Sign Language 1 to 4 (Level 4 is in conjunction with Columbus State). Students are provided options to travel abroad during the summer to enrich their language application and global awareness. Language courses are offered at introductory and advanced levels, with the College Credit Plus option for college credit.
- One unique aspect of the Whetstone day is the BRAVE PERIOD, a special time scheduled in the students’ day to allow them extra time to connect with teachers, extend their science labs, get extra help, or make-up work after absences.
- At Whetstone, students give back to the community with service learning projects. Students are required to complete 120 internship hours but are often encouraged to complete service learning projects as part of the curriculum. Visit the social studies page for a video about the service projects in Humanities 10.
College and Career Readiness
Each year, approximately 80% of Whetstone graduates go on to a four-year college/university, a two-year institution, or a technical program. In recent years, Whetstone students have been accepted locally to The Ohio State University, Miami University, University of Cincinnati, and Denison University; and nationally to University of Alabama, Brown University, Cornell University, Yale University, New York University, University of Pittsburgh, Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Oregon State University, Notre Dame College, University of Southern California, and more.
Diverse & Vibrant Extracurricular Opportunities
Offering robust vocal, visual, and performing arts as well as technology, clubs, co-curricular activities, and athletics is paramount in enriching the whole student at Whetstone. Journalism and Web Design work collaboratively to produce an online newspaper, The Braves Messenger. Whetstone teachers receive community and industry support, for example, Franklin County Public defenders from the Ohio Center for Law Related Education advise the innovative Mock Trial Club.
Whetstone athletic teams hold more City League Championship titles and more “City Cup” titles than any other Columbus City school.
Meet our Faculty
Our strong academic courses are taught by committed and enthusiastic teachers. They are National Merit Scholars, adjunct college faculty, Special Olympics coaches, chemistry journal editors, zoo keepers, and Columbus City alumni. Whetstone faculty members bring passion and experience to their classrooms. The Whetstone faculty has an average of 17 years of teaching experience, and more than 73% hold a Master’s degree or higher. Download the Whetstone guide to learn more about our amazing teachers here.
Our Community Support
Central to the success of neighborhood schools is a supportive and engaged community. Whetstone High School leads numerous fun activities for students, families, and community members. Every August, there is a Community Grounds Clean-up day to encourage the community to come out and help beautify their neighborhood school.
Homecoming Weekend is the first major event of the year. In 2016, for the 10th anniversary of the homecoming parade, Whetstone launched the first homecoming fundraising festival. Activities kick-off Friday afternoon with a parade through the neighborhood, which includes marchers from all the pathway elementary schools and the Dominion Middle School marching band. The Homecoming King and Queen Candidates ride in limos as elementary and middle school groups march alongside the many supportive community groups and local businesses. It is tradition that embodies what is at the heart of the Clintonville community.
The entire community also joins in for the 5K Run/Walk hosted every year by the WHS PTA at the end of October. This “race” begins in the stadium parking lot and winds through Whetstone Park. It is open to anyone. Advance registration is recommended. Watch the WHS homepage for details and to see how your Whetstone Pathway school can participate.
Whetstone HS has three extraordinarily active parent organizations: Whetstone Athletic Boosters, Whetstone Music Association Boosters, and the Whetstone PTA. All three groups foster the growth of students both in and out of the classroom through their activities. Find out how you can connect with parents here.
Come for a Visit
To schedule a tour, give us a call at 614-365-6060.
See for yourself the great things Whetstone High School has to offer!